After teasing this on Reddit and receiving a great response, I figured, “Why wait?” Let’s launch this thing now! What thing, you ask? This thing.
The Pauper Brewer’s Cup
Here are some rules and stuff.
- Every week, I will offer some kind of constraint or challenge to our readers.
- Submit a fun, innovative, or powerful brew built around those constraints.
- Your submission must be legal for Pauper in Magic Online. Guidelines are here.
- I will select three lists out of your submissions, and you will get to vote for that week’s winner.
- After 8 weeks we will have 8 innovative brews, and they will enter the gauntlet portion of the Brewer’s Cup.
- Whoever owns (submitted) the deck that wins this gauntlet will be endowed with fabulous riches (to be determined) and great esteem.
If any of that doesn’t make sense, ask for clarifications in the comments. The idea is that we should have fun sharing ideas and brewing, maybe discover some new, powerful decks, and in general support and promote the format we love the most, Pauper.
If at any point you have a suggestion for a theme or challenge, send those along too. I will do my best, but I am relying upon the ingenuity of you guys to make this thing really successful. I know you won’t let me down!
So, rules and stuff aside, let’s get down to business.
Week One: Cavern Harpy
Back when Casting Commons was more active they had a series of Pauper Challenges. The idea was that if you made it into the Top 8 of a Pauper Premier Event with a list that met their conditions, you would win a prize. As far as I know, nobody ever won any of the five challenges, which is a shame because some of them were quite good. We’re going to borrow from CC today and their first challenge, which involved a certain harpy.
Here are your constraints this week:
- 3x [c]Cavern Harpy[/c] in the maindeck.
That’s it. The original challenge called for EtB effects, but I think that’s a given, and hey, if you can think of a deck that somehow fully utilizes Harpy without EtB triggers, more power to you. I’d love to see it.
*edit* I have reduced this from the original 4x copies required, thanks to your generous feedback.
Submit your brews and ideas
That’s it! Submit your lists in the comments below. Yes, that means other people can see your stuff and copy it or adapt it, but I do really want this to be an opportunity for us to discuss and brew together for Pauper.
Lists need to be submitted before next Tuesday, June 23, to be considered.
I will pick three submissions to highlight in next week’s article, and you guys will get to vote to decide the winner. Yes, I’m making you guys do all the work, but only because I hold you all in such high esteem.
Our Forum Guidelines and Style Guide are available here, so you can make your decklist look like a list. Please use it.
Other thoughts, comments, or concerns? Suggestions for a weekly challenge? Leave those in the comments too!
Last but not least, if you like this challenge or any of our other content, please consider supporting us via our Patreon.