The first round of Season Three is drawing to a close!
All of the videos are on our site at http://magicgatheringstrat.com/the-pauper-gauntlet-season-three/.
The second week of round one
If you read further than this, you will get results spoiled. That is probably why you are here, though.
Ok, lets get into details.
- Suicide is Painless ran into the mirror match curse and lost 0-2 – What is up with these super unlikely mirror matches? Which other decks played against Suicide is Painless in round one? That’s right. No other deck.
- Shroudfang Ninja took on Snow Zombies and won 2-0
- DelverFiend took on RG Madness. It is hard to race DelverFiend with an aggro deck. 2-1 win.
- BorosKitty Initiated took on the Sliver horde and was ran over 1-2
- Croca Jund took on Caw Blade (the dream never dies!) Loss 0-2
- WW Soul Tokens took on Mono Blue Control. It is hard to control white weenies. Win 2-0
- Stompy Tokens went up against Azorius Flicker. Your value does not matter if you are crushed to a pulp. Win 2-1
- Illusory Tricks defeated Grixis Turbo Angler in the air 2-0
- RG Landfall took on Grixis Angler and impressed everyone with an overwhelming 2-0 victory-
- Goblin Storm was disappointed by MBC 1-2
- Turbo Zoo fought Temur Freed Combo and won 2-1
- Love Train spread the love to Simic Evolve 2-0
- Project X comboed off against JeskaiKitty 2-0
- Bant Sword and Shield defeated Angler Delver in a tight match 2-1
- Turbo Angler defeated Izzet Freed Combo 2-1
- Rhystic Tron was ready to fight JeskaiKitty but the opponent quit early.
- Counter-Kitty showed Dimir Control what real card advantage is. 2-0
- Spiteful Leeches defeated Simic Proliferate in the first duel and then he quit
- Mono Green Ramp LD took away all the lands from a Dimir deck 2-0
- 1-land-Spy …. well, it only worked once. 1-2 vs MBC
- Infect ran through Naya Thallid Walls and poisoned the opponent 2-0
- Exhume Control reanimated the heavy hitters and took down RUG Tron 2-0
22 more matches played. Only 9 matches remain until round one is over!
The score this week was 17-5 meaning that we now stand at 51-20, which is about what was expected.
The 20 decks that so far are facing elimination in round 02 of the Pauper Gauntlet season three are: Familiars, MBC, Rebel Grind, Glass Cannon Red, Burn, Tortured Madness, Living End, Rakdos Vampires, Mono Red Land Destruction, Cheaty Morph, Eggs, UB Justice Control, Mono Black Land Destruction, Dragon Delve, Suicide is Painless, BorosKitty Initiated, Croca Jund, Goblin Storm Combo, 1-land-spy and Sultai Delve.
Yes, that is three Top 10 decks from last season, a tier 1 deck (MBC) and the champion deck from the first season (BorosKitty) at risk of early elimination. Last year only three decks were eliminated in round two.
The goal is to win with all these decks in round two and have all 78 decks see the first tournament practice round in round three.
Round one will end right before we record the MagicGatheringStrat podcast on December 15th. Round two will end on December 22nd. As the winners do not play in round two, the second round will be significantly faster. Round three will go on over the holidays.
What happens to the decks that lost?
Round one and round two are double elimination so round two will have the losers play yet another match in the JFF room. If the decks win they move to round three (which will be tougher!) where they will join the winners of round one.
Please visit our sponsor Mtgotickets, new customers receive 10 tickets for $8. Click on this link to check out mtgotickets.