April showers bring Modern Pauper! Registration remains open through April 7 and the league will begin April 8. Keep an eye on our events page for updates and use Challonge for pairings and standings.
Want more leagues, tournaments, gauntlets, videos, articles, and other good stuff?
Just $2 per month does a lot to support our efforts and you get some great perks, too, including access to our patron-only forums, a direct line on video requests, and the opportunity to win patron prizes.
Community League #9: Format and Rules
Modern Pauper uses commons only from Modern-legal sets. To be legal a card must have been printed as a common in a set that is legal in Modern. Cards that were commons in earlier sets and reprinted as uncommons in a Modern-legal set are not allowed. We will use the Modern filter on MTGO. Cards from both the Pauper banned list and Modern banned lists are NOT allowed for this format..
First pairings go up on April 8.
I will post the first pairings on April 8 and will also send out an email with contact information. I try very hard NOT to send people lots of emails. It is up to you to keep track on the site and get in touch with your opponents promptly. After that, you will have to check the site for your next pairings, which will go up on Friday each week. It will be up to each participant to contact their opponent by email to set up their match for the week. Don’t wait for your opponents contact you; be proactive!
For this event I am going to be very strict concerning players that don’t communicate well. If your opponent says they are having a hard time getting in touch with you, and you don’t respond to my follow-up email in a timely fashion, your opponent will get the win for that week and you may be removed from the event. Check your email, respond to your email, email your opponents, email me. Short notes are fine, but KEEP IN TOUCH!
We will play 4-6 weeks of Swiss and then cut to top 8 with the goal to finish the league by the end of May.
1. Modern Pauper uses common-rarity cards from the Modern card pool. We will play one match per week and you can change lists as often as you like.
2. Duels will be 1v1 and fought in matches best 2 out of 3. You get 3 points for a match win, 1 point for a draw, and 0 points for a loss. A BYE counts as a win. Match timers should be set to the default of 25 minutes.
3. We will use Challonge to track this event. It is the responsibility of the winner to report their win. Report by the end of Thursday each week.
4. Communicate early and often. I will only send out the one email with all your contact information. Don’t lose it! Get in touch by email (it is much more effective than waiting around on MTGO). If no one communicates with each other or with me, that week’s pairing will be considered a draw and one or both players may be removed from the league. If one person is attempting to communicate and the other person is not, they should let me know. I will attempt to solve issues when I can, but when that doesn’t work out, the person who is trying to communicate will always get the win. Don’t wait until the last minute.
5. After the initial email all official league announcements will happen here on the site. You can always stay up to date with the link on the home page or by keeping tabs on the Events page. You can also get updates by liking us on Facebook or following me on Twitter @bava_mtg.
6. We’ll play 4-6 weeks of Swiss and then cut to Top 8. The league will end by May 30.
7. You can drop at any time. Please let me know if you’d like to drop before the next week’s pairings go up. You will always be welcomed back into subsequent league events.
8. Contact me if you have any questions.
We are banned cards from BOTH the Modern and Pauper banned lists for this event. That means these common-rarity cards are banned.
Cards banned via Pauper banned list:
- Cranial Plating
- Empty the Warrens
- Treasure Cruise
Cards banned via Modern banned list:
- Ancient Den
- Great Furnace
- Seat of the Synod
- Seething Song
- Treasure Cruise
- Tree of Tales
- Vault of Whispers
MagicGatheringStrat is proud to list Cardhoarder as an official sponsor of all our events going forward. Cardhoarder has been serving the MTGO community since 2005, and with new ownership since 2014 has shown renewed vigor to improve the way they serve their customers and create innovation in the MTGO community.
I have personally switched all of my singles purchases for MTGO from MTGOTraders to Cardhoarder and have had a top-notch experience. I highly recommend them. Shop online or use their bots by searching for #cardhoarder in the Trade screen.
We are happy to welcome additional sponsors or donations to the prize pool. If you’re interested, please get in touch.
The winner of this event will receive 25 bot credits from Cardhoarder.
Second place will receive 15 bot credits from Cardhoarder.
Third and fourth place will each receive 5 bot credits from Cardhoarder.
In addition, the best-ranking patron in the league will receive 10 tickets from me personally. This will be in addition to any prizes already won by placing first or second in the event.
The winning patron will have to have been in good standing for at least one month, so go sign up now if you haven’t already!
I will double the prize payouts (with tickets) if we reach Patreon support of $300 by the end of April and maintain it through the end of the event.
Sign up below
Register before April 8 if you would like to participate.